Several properties of a good map.
Why is the map so important?
Needless to say, that the use of maps is one of the pillars of the modern taxi business. The stable operation of the service, timely arrival of the cars to point A, and convenient and timely delivery of the client to point B depend on the map.
To answer the question posed, first of all, we need to formulate things that should be in a good map adapted to the needs of transportation industry:
- The map should be launched instantly. Continuous switching between the control system and the browser is at least inefficient. We integrated the map into the dispatcher software - UTC-Dispatch. To launch the cartographic service, it is enough to clock just one button.
- Map should be available not only in the dispatcher's software, but also in the client and driver applications. This is obvious. For better performance and efficiency, the driver needs to navigate. The order interface in the client’s application also cannot do without map.
- The price of the map should be affordable and predictable. In the case of mapping services from large companies, we can hardly talk about predictability. Usually, for taxi services the map is from a third-party, therefore - the issue of price is not regulated by contracts and can be revised unilaterally. In practice, this is what happens. Some software manufacturers collaborate with map developers and offer their solutions for taxi services in a separate package asking for additional payment.
- UTC-Software offers the map developed internally by its team. The support department provides regular map updates, and there is no need to pay extra for it: cartography is included in the UTC-Software package of services.
- The map must be intelligent and functional. It is not enough to offer just points and geographical zones. It is necessary to calculate the time of the trip, the time of arrival of the car at point A, to monitor road obstacles. The UTC Map Service has its own traffic jam manager, where the dispatcher, if necessary, will be able to identify traffic jams.
- Map should have technical support from the developer. In this regard, all map services have support teams on offer. The question is only in the price / quality ratio. It should be investigated well before deciding on which service to work with.
Certainly, map is not everything. The most important thing is the emotions of the client from the trip. But an effective map service is a guarantee that these emotions will be positive and the client will come back to you again and again.